Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Morning Blues

Let's face it. For most of us, the worst part about work is how early we have to wake up to get there. If you're as busy as me, you usually don't make it to bed until at least midnight, and that's if you're lucky. If you're working all day and then have to attend an event or come home to laundry, homework, etc. it's difficult to get to bed at a decent time. Also, if on the off chance you do get to lay down early, most likely you're mind takes a while to shut off from all the things you know still have to be done. So, how do we beat the morning blues and make work a little less dreadful? It's not easy, but it can be done.


1. Set your alarm earlier. I know I know, you're probably shaking your head in confusion and refusal, but it actually can help. If you set your alarm for about twenty minutes earlier than you have it set for now, it allows you time to enjoy waking up. For most of us, as soon as our alarm goes off we are up and running and we have about twenty minutes to get out the door. However, if you set your alarm clock earlier, you can hit snooze if you're extra tired and it makes it feel like you're sleeping in a little longer. You can also wake up when it goes off and sit in bed watching some television for a little while before you have to get up. You might also want to use the extra time to cook a nice breakfast, take a hot shower, or in my case, cuddle with your kitty :) 


How can you not want to cuddle with this? :)


In any case, it's worth a try. My bet is you'll feel better about your mornings if you can slow them down a bit.


2. Eat breakfast. In high school and for most of freshman year of college, I refused to eat breakfast. Most of the time I wasn't hungry that early or I just didn't want to take the time to make something when I could sleep an extra five minutes. But, as we all know, there are studies everywhere indicating that breakfast is a huge asset to our health and our energy. I can't leave without breakfast now, and I don't always have time to cook something so don't feel like that's a necessity. Grab some protein bars or drinks that will fill you up and get your metabolism working but won't require breaking out the skillet and spatula. Breakfast is essential. Check out this article from The Washington Times if you're still unconvinced. Breakfast Energy Boost


3. Take a multivitamin and/or B-12. A lot of times the reason we feel so sleepy in the morning isn't because we didn't get enough sleep (most adults only need about 7 hours,) but rather that our bodies are lacking essential nutrients we need for energy. B-12 is a great supplement for energy, which is probably why a lot of energy drinks and shots have high amounts of it. If you make taking it part of your daily routine, I guarantee you'll notice a difference. If you want to boost it even more, combine with a daily multivitamin. I'm telling you, vitamins, vitamins, vitamins. 






4. Exercise. This one is a no-brainer. If you exercise, you're going to be able to fall asleep quicker, stay asleep, and wake up feeling more energized and less irritated. According to fitness.com, "The more active your body is during the day, the more likely you are able to relax fully at night and fall asleep easily." It also helps with stress, which if you're lacking sleep is probably one of your top concerns. Check out the full article on how exercise helps you sleep better from Fitness.com here: Fitness.com - How Exercise Can Help You Sleep Better


5. Avoid the coffee and do something natural instead. Now, I used to love coffee just as much as the next person. My old bank statements full of Starbucks transactions is proof enough of that. However, I always noticed that coffee really never did much for me, especially after the first hour or so past. In fact, I think it made me sleepier than I was before I had the coffee once the crash kicked in. So, instead, if you wake up and you're exhausted, take a few minutes to stretch. Stretching gets your blood flowing and releases endorphins, but it's not as involved as a morning exercise. With this, you don't have to worry about getting up super early to plan in a work out and a shower after, but you'll feel more energized and you can slowly wake up. If you try this and it really works for you, you might consider looking into yoga.






6. Turn your brain OFF before bed. That means no watching TV, no playing on your iPhone, no reading. When you're ready to lay down, turn off the lights, get under the covers, and let your brain turn off. If you start thinking about everything you need to do, help your brain out by switching the focus. My trick? I'll start at my head and work my way down to my toes relaxing every muscle. This takes a little brain effort because I have to consciously loosen my muscles and because I'm keeping an order of what muscle is next, my brain can't start wondering off thinking about homework. I usually can't even make it back up to my head because eventually, I'm relaxed enough to slip into a great night sleep.


7. Smile. If you wake up really tired, it usually puts you in a bad mood right away. Instead of griping and frowning the entire morning, smile. Smiling makes us happy, and when you're happy, you're more likely to forget that you felt tired. So even if things are rough, find a way to smile. Or, at least walk into work smiling. If you're smiling and greeting everyone when you walk in, you'll get a great response from co-workers, and social energy helps us feel awake and energized. 


8. My last bit of advice: sing. Silly, I know, but it works for me. I'm a TERRIBLE singer, but when I'm super tired, I turn up my favorite songs on the way to work and sing. I've noticed it puts me in a better mood, and because I'm working my voice and brain instead of sitting there numbly driving the same routine I do every day, I wake up more. By the time I get to work I feel significantly better than I did when I left my house.




Now, there are always going to be those mornings/days when no matter what you do or try, you're just tired. IT'S OKAY. Don't assume there's something wrong with you if work is a drag sometimes. Our bodies are complicated, and sometimes they just need rest. For days like that, try to clear your schedule as much as you can to take some time to rest. If that's not possible, try breathing deeply and slowly at your desk/register/etc. Breathing deeply relaxes your body, which may help you feel a little less tired. I hope you have fun trying something new to boost your energy, and don't forget to post a comment with your tips for feeling more awake, too!




No comments:

Post a Comment